Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] questions about website, and some of the sample sites

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

>   slowly getting my own site up and running with Website, so a
> few quick questions:

[...]

> 2) is there, somewhere, a reference list of the most common
>    Website customizations?  i'm making my own list, but that's
>    based on norm's sample annotated site, perusing the stylesheet
>    and asking the occasional expert ("expert" meaning, someone
>    who is not me).

don't know, but there's a 'contrib' directory in the DocBook project cvs
repository that's intended for hosting user-contributed stylesheet
customizations, whether they be Website, DSSSL, XSL, or whatever

So if anybody on the list has a customization that they've put some time
into and think other people might be able to learn from it or use it as
a starting point to build customizations of their own, it's welcome
there. Send it to me and I'll commit it to the contrib area

> 3) once upon a time, i asked for some sample sites, and here are
>    some of the ones i got:
>
>    www.docbook.org (well, duh)
>    www.nwalsh.com (see above)
>    www.enoriver.com (my new site)
>    www.bytecraft.com (thanks, kirk)
>    cdk.courceforge.net

for what it's worth, you can add http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ to that
list. It's nuthin fancy, but it does have one advantage in that you can
easily check out the up-to-date sources for it any time via anonymous cvs -

1. Login in the SF cvs server

     cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/docbook login

2. At the 'CVS Password' prompt, just hit Enter (blank password)

3. Check out the files

     cvs -z3 \
       -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/docbook co \
        sourceforge-webpages

There's a README file in there that explains how it's set up. It's
mostly 'optimized' to suit the laziness of the current maintainer -- to
make it quick and easy to build when an update is made to the sources.

(The makefile's dumbed down in that it re-generates every page regardless
of whether its corresponding source has changed. It's possible to have it
generate output for only the source files that have changed. But it's a
pretty small site, and in my environment at least, it's quicker to just
have it regenerate everything rather than going the logic of figuring
out what's changed. In a bigger site, it'd probably be different.)

Anyway, if you want to actually build from the sources using the makefile
that's in there, you'll also need to grab some other stuff from cvs -

     cvs -z3 \
       -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/docbook co \
        cvstools

     cvs -z3 \
       -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/docbook co \
        website

>    now, all of those have an obvious common theme, but another of
>    the sites that was submitted was
>
>    ichilli.sourceforge.net
>
>    which seems to have a really different look and feel from the
>    previous ones.  at first glance, i would have never guessed
>    this to be a website-based site.

There are some other sites out there that you'd never expect were
generated from DocBook source -- for example,

  http://djbdns.wolfhome.com/

That's actually generated from regular ole DocBook source (not even
Website) -- and using the DSSSL stylesheets.

  --Mike

PGP signature