Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] two-column problem

Hi,

> > The bug is in XSL FO stylesheets, and, in my opinion, it should be
> > fixed. If Antenna House demonstrates a non-compliant behaviour,
> > it can be used in the corresponding customization level; but the
> > base stylesheets should not rely on it.

The XSL-FO stylesheets should follow the XSL-FO specification, but they
should also make it possible to span columns. As Bob points out, it
should be very difficult with the current architecture of stylesheets.

> Looking at the DocBook XSL stylesheets, this could be
> tough to implement.  The stylesheets often nest fo:blocks
> as nested DocBook elements are processed.  If a column
> span is requested in some nested element (like a table
> in a section in a chapter), then all pending blocks would
> have to be closed out, a new block started that is a direct
> child of the fo:flow, and then start over with the blocks
> that follow the table.
>
> Or the stylesheet architecture would have to change
> to a much flatter sequence of blocks that are direct
> children of the fo:flow.

In any case, this means a lot of work and many changes to the XSL-FO-
stylesheets. I You need results fast, I would rely on a "broken" XSL-FO
processor and include support for this "broken" processor in the
parametrization of the stylesheets.

Lars
--
  Lars Trieloff <lars@trieloff.net>

/ Software Documentation Weblog      German DocBook Tutorial \

| http://trieloff.net/docbook   http://trieloff.net/tutorial |

|                     KDocWrite revisited                    |

|      <http://trieloff.net/docbook/archive/000354.html>     |

|                           SlideML                          |

|      <http://trieloff.net/docbook/archive/000352.html>     |

|             Keep track of development using RSS            |

|      <http://trieloff.net/docbook/archive/000351.html>     |