Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] FO: language= ?

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:30:24PM +0500, David Tolpin wrote:

> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:51:35PM +0500, David Tolpin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what's the proper way to set 'language' attribute with DocBook XSL stylesheets
> > > for XSL FO? I've tried but failed for German (I assume the code is 'de').
> > >
> > > I need that for hyphenation to work.
> >
> > You can put a lang="de" attribute in an element
> > that starts a page-sequence (chapter, etc) to add a
> > language="de" property for that page-sequence.  If you
> > want it for the whole document, put lang="de" in the
> > document's root element, or set the command line parameter
> > l10n.gentext.language="de".  Either one should put the
> > language="de" attribute in fo:root.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I tried to do with 1.61.2. It complained that
>
> test.dbx:3: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-character" exists; using "en".
> test.dbx:3: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-push-character-count" exists; using "en".
> test.dbx:3: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-remain-character-count" exists; using "en".
> test.dbx:4: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-character" exists; using "en".
> test.dbx:4: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-push-character-count" exists; using "en".
> test.dbx:4: No "de" localization of "hyphenation-remain-character-count" exists; using "en".
>
> and the language='en' on the root element.
>
> However, with 1.57 it worked (I've just checked it with the older version occasionally
> left on my laptop). Is it a bug or did I misconfigure anything?

This is a bug.  These hyphenation properties were introduced
in 1.61, but the set of locale files in the 'common'
subdirectory of the stylesheet distribution have not all been
updated with the new hyphenation items.  In fact, only en, ar, tr,
and hr have them.  However, you will get the right
'language' property on the fo:page-sequence elements.

My investigation revealed another bug in the fo:root
template that prevents the lang="xx" attribute
from properly setting the 'language' on fo:root.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com