Subject: Re: Eeeek! My Umlauts have vanished!

"Scot W. Stevenson" <scot@possum.in-berlin.de> writes:

>> <? xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
>
> Suddenly, the programs don't like the spaces between the '<?' and the 'xml'.
> This was _not_ a problem until now.

This does not mean it was valid before; the standard does not allow
white space after '<?':

    http://www/www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006.html#NT-XMLDecl

> Now I get this error:
>
> file encoding and setting in stylesheet do not match:
> frog.xml: ISO-8859-1
> suse-html.dsl: suse-html.dsl:14:     ("content" "text/html; charset=UTF-8")))

Either edit your local suse-html.dsl file or simply move it away.

> Which I think means that SuSE fooled around with their configuration files
> and broke something; the README doesn't mention anything, though.

The idea was to let db2x detect the encoding of the document and to act
accordingly.  I will take a look how to improve this step.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)