Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] help using DocBook stylesheets to produce pdf

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:33:45AM +1000, Mark Hazell wrote:
> Hi, I'm hoping for any helpful advice about using DocBook stylesheets to
> produce pdf:
>
> * I want to add "padding" to my images.  I tried specifying the viewport
> (i.e. depth="8cm" contentdepth="4cm") but was unsuccessful.  Is this because
> FOP 02.05 does not work? It is also not the most effective way considering
> my screenshots are of varying sizes.

The current FOP does not respond to the FO properties
content-width and content-height, which is what the viewport
attributes output in the FO file.

If you are putting the images inside <figure> elements, you
can adjust a named attribute-set that controls space above and
below figures.  You can do this in a customization layer.

<xsl:attribute-set name="figure.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.minimum">1.5cm</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">2cm</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.maximum">3em</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.minimum">1.5cm</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.optimum">2cm</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-after.maximum">3cm</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

If you aren't using figure (with titles), you could wrap
your mediaobject in <informalfigure> and customize its
template a bit:

Change:

<xsl:template match="informalfigure">
  <xsl:call-template name="informal.object"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="informalfigure">
    <fo:block>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-before.minimum">1.5cm</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">2cm</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-before.maximum">3em</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-after.minimum">1.5cm</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-after.optimum">2cm</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="space-after.maximum">3cm</xsl:attribute>

       <xsl:call-template name="informal.object"/>
   </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

> * I was also hoping for some pointers to change section title font color

Another attribute-set handles section title properties:

<xsl:attribute-set name="section.title.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="color">blue</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

There are also attribute sets for each section title level.
See this reference for more on attribute-sets:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/AttributeSets.html

> and a way to prevent section titles from appearing at the bottom of the page.

FOP doesn't handle keep-with-next properly, so there is no general
solution for this.  Some people have resorted to inserting manual
page break processing instructions before such sections
when the document is finished. See:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2003-q2/msg00848.html

Such manual page breaks must be removed or shifted when
the document is edited.  It's a tedious process, because
each manual break will affect pagination downstream
from it.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com