Subject: Use of entityref to map generic path name in xml catalog

I'm using xsltproc 2.5.8 on WindowsXP, working with DocBook 4.2.  I have been able to successfully generate static HTML, HTMLHelp and PDF (via Fop) files using some customized XSL stylesheets.  Very cool stuff!  And now I have a couple of questions...

I declared an entity as follows:

    <!ENTITY myimage SYSTEM "/path/to/images/myimage.gif" NDATA GIF>

I then inserted a mediaobject that referenced the entity:

    <mediaobject>
      <imageobject>
        <imagedata entityref="myimage" format="GIF" />
      </imageobject>
    </mediaobject>

1.  When I process the XML, the image source is lost.  I just get src="" within the generated IMG tag.  If I just use fileref, the image renders properly.  What am I doing wrong here?

2.  I've read that I can reference a generic path name within my declared entity and then use the catalog to map it to a local directory.  Can someone provide me with an example of how to code the catalog to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Miranda