Subject: admon graphics: GIF vs PNG

I am using openjade on sgml source on a Debian stable system.

The admon graphics won't come out unless I use .gif graphics.  GIF is bad,
PNG is good, correct?  Patent issues and what-not.

Googling tells me that there is some way to change DSSSL to override the .gif
extensions for admons
(http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-customizingthedssslstylesheets.html,
search page for "override").  Most of what I am reading on the web is over my
head.

Questions:

1. I've got admons working with .gifs.  Should I just move on or should I
work to rid my docs of .gifs?  What's the right thing to do?

2. If I should use the .pngs, then is there a recipe for modifying the DSSSL?

3. If .gifs are bad then why no .png equivalents in the
docbook-dsssl-1.77/images directory?  And why is the default admon image
format GIF?

4. Do xml tools handle the .png admons out-of-the-box?

5. Are .png files for admons and callouts available or do they have to be
converted using gimp for example?

6. OT: Is it socially acceptable to be using openjade and sgml these days?

I appreciate any and all help or opinions. Thanks.
--
Mike Mueller
Registration No. 324881 (08/20/2003)