Subject: A simple HowTo for customizing the pdf-output of an DocBook xml

Hello to all,

I have written a small set of books, with a few chapters an sections.

I am able to transform that xml to HTML, and chunked HTML. With chunked
HTML I could modify the header as well as the footer :-)

I was also luky to transform the xml to xml-fo going on to pdf. (I'am using
Xalan and FOP)

As PDF result I get an more or less empty page for the <set>, as well as
for the <book>. How can I design this pages ?  I would like to have a
graphic printed over a part of the page.

Also I would like to have an Header, with our company logo, and a footer on
each page of the pdf-file. How can I manage this ?

I tried to find out an solution by reading in <DocBook XSL The Complete
Guide>, but I am not able to put all the information I get there together.

So at the moment I only have the customization layer for the pdf (more
exactly for the xml-fo) started, and now I do not understand what to write
when where to get an Header and a footer. Where to enter what to get an
picture on the title page?

May be that someone of you can give me a hint. I'am very new with DocBook,
XML, XSL and java.

Thank you very much for your help

Jochen Gerstl