Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] db for math/chem dissertation/thesis

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 14:51, Mike Mueller wrote:
> Is db used often or easily for technical dissertations and thesis, in
> particular those in math and chemistry?  Can anyone post a link to an
> example?  How does db stand up against LaTeX?
>
> TIA,

Several folks in acedemia suggested to me that db is not being widely used
for math or chem dissertations yet, and that WYSIWYGs and LaTeX were still
tools of choice for those apps.  I found that hard to believe at first.  A
little research showed why db may not be a preferred tool in math.  Then I
found the MathML resources on the web.  W3C had a math conformance test for
your browser.  I use Firebird and the tester reported that I needed some
extras to make things look better.  I did OK in the default mode, but I can
imagine that OK is not good enough for acedemia.  I can't imagine some
grad/post grad sweating the details of getting all the different browsers out
there to display her/his dissertation properly.  Then there's the additional
problem of getting her/his advisors to fix up all the browers they may use to
be MathML friendly.  I can imagine that chem applications would have similar
difficulties but I admit I did not specifically research chem MLs.

Comments?
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)