Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] htmlhelp.encoding="windows-932" and Saxon

I'm using Saxon 6.5.2 and Java 1.4 (International). I've experimented
with several encodings, but have only gotten windows-932 (= shift-jis)
and ISO-2022 to produce output. With other encodings it complains about
characters not being available in that encoding. I think the encoding is
being loaded because with one version of Java I had installed (1.4.2) I
got an error "Failed to load windows-932".

I just discovered that to get full text search to work with Japanese
words, I to do the same conversion (unicode to ansi) on the html files.
Worst case, iconv -f UTF-8 -t SHIFT-JIS on each file fixes it.

I suspect this is a question for the Saxon list.

Thanks,
David

java version "1.4.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0_02-b02)

From: Jirka Kosek [mailto:jirka@kosek.cz]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 3:39 PM
To: David Cramer (Tech Pubs)
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

David Cramer (Tech Pubs) wrote:

> I'm using htmlhelp xsls and saxon to produce Japanese chms. The .hhc
> and .hhk files come out as Unicode files, even though
> htmlhelp.encoding is set to Windows-932. The result is that in the

The problem might be that Saxon doesn't support this particular
encoding. AFAIK newer versions of Saxon can handle all encodings
supported by JVM. Are you sure that your JVM has support for
windows-932? (I personally have never seen such encoding before, but I
don't deal with CJK languages at all.)

> Btw., I have tried various values for saxon.character.representation,
> but that doesn't seem to change anything in the .hhc and .hhk files
> and may not matter anyway.

This has effect only for HTML and XML output methods. HHC and HHK files
are generated by text output method.

   Jirka Kosek
   e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
   http://www.kosek.cz