Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] anyone have a windows-based publishing infrastructure?

I have a Windows-based system.  I do have Cygwin, but it's a needless
complication to the publishing system.  All of my tools are native
Windows applications.

I use Xmetal for editing, although I've been playing with Morphon and
it's pretty much the equivalent of Xmetal (for free).

I use the modular XSL style sheets to transform Docbook into HTML Help
and FO.  My XSL processor is xsltproc, which is handy 'cause I use
xinclude to modularize the documents.  I have a copy of XEP to transform
the FO into PDF.

For graphics, I use the Windows port of GIMP and the vector drawing
application in Open Office.  I use TortoiseCVS for XML file source
control.  It's not a content management system, but it serves my
purposes.

The big drawback in the Windows world is that you'll get lots of folks
in the company asking for output as Word documents instead of PDF or
help.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told that the XMLMind FO
processor does a pretty good job of converting FO to RTF.  Most of the
other RTF converters (such as JFOR) don't really to a good enough job.

Bill Lawrence
Senior Technical Writer
Matrix Solutions

XML/docbook/XSLT/FO/HTML/PDF