Subject: Re: website xsl: unused variable (and chunking question)

> I not use tabular schema for visual formatting - only CSS.

> Navigation menu is "div.navhead".

> CSS part:

I do something similar with CSS on vanilla chunked HTML.

I use CSS2 to put the footer on top of the ToC, use a PNG to decorate
the top of the combined footer and ToC, and place both on the left
side of the web page, and use position: fixed on non-IE browsers.  See
the CSS stylesheet below for more info.  I also lose the nav header
and the footer ruler, by XSLT parameters.

The drawback is that the ToC look silly on the bottom levels, when it
is empty.  The full nested ToC also got too large on the top levels,
so I decided to go for just one level of ToC.

Unfortunately this boils down to not having a good overview of the
document at any level.  So the possibility to have website-like ToC
_really_ sounds good.

Here's the CSS:

BODY
{
  font-size:12pt;
  font-family:"Arial";
  color:"#000000"; margin-left:0;
  background-color: white;
  background-repeat:no-repeat;
  position: absolute;
  left: 54mm;
  right: auto;
  }

div.navfooter
{
  position: absolute;
  padding-top: 4.2em;
  top: 0.5em;
  left: -52mm;
  width: 50mm;
  right: auto;
  background-image: url(menutop.png);
  background-repeat:no-repeat;
 }

.navfooter a { color: yellow; }

div.toc
{
  background:#e0e0e0;
  position: absolute;
  padding-top: 8.5em;
  top: 0.5em;
  left: -52mm;
  width: 50mm;
  right: auto;
  font-size:11pt;
  }

body>div.navfooter
{
  position: fixed;
  left: 2mm;
  }

body>div>div.toc
{
  position: fixed;
  left: 2mm;
  }

The last two rules are IE workarounds, see the bottom of the below URL
for more info:
	http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/menus.html

Here are the XSLT parameters I use to customize the generated chunked
HTML:

  <xsl:param name="generate.toc">
    article toc
    section toc
  </xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="generate.section.toc.level" select="3"/>
  <xsl:param name="toc.section.depth">1</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="navig.showtitles">0</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="suppress.header.navigation">1</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="footer.rule">0</xsl:param>
  <xsl:param name="chunk.section.depth" select="5" />
  <xsl:param name="chunk.first.sections" select="1" />

Suppressing the footer navigation link titles is to make it fit when
squeezed horizontally on top of the ToC.  Suppressing the header is
because I don't have any place to put it, so I don't need it.
Suppressing the footer ruler, is a purely visual improvement.