Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Table problems with FO and Saxon.

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:18:15AM -0500, Rodolfo Gonzalez Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Saxon and Apache FOP (latest stable versions of both) with the
> XSL stylesheets from the standard RedHat 9.0 RPM, and using this command
> (after I setup CLASSPATH, etc.):
>
> java  org.apache.fop.apps.Fop  \
>     -xml manual.xml \
>     -xsl /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/fo/docbook.xsl \
>     -pdf manual.pdf
>
> After tons of errors (which seem to be normal using Apache FOP, as far as
> I read) I finally get these 3 lines:
>
> [WARNING] table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!
> [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 100000 greater than maximum specified IPD 0
> [ERROR] -2
>
> and no PDF is generated. In your experience, could this be a fault in my
> XML file?, a bad toolchain use?, some wrong param in the XSL? or maybe
> just a bug in the FOP?.

Well, tables are known to work in that combination.
The "IPD" here is inline progression dimension,
which is the XSL-FO way of saying the table width.

The error message implies that the table width is zero.
Unless otherwise specified, the table width property
is set to 100%.  Do you have tables that set the table
width with a dbfo table-width processing instruction?
Do the tables set column widths?  Can you peek in the
fo file and see if there is an fo:table that
has a width="0" attribute?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com