Subject: Re: title.margin.left bug

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 10:44  pm, Bob Stayton wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:45:49PM +0100, Nick Hunt wrote:

<snip>

>> On this subject, it would be useful to be able to control
>> title.margin.left for each page-sequence-master; if you have a
>> relatively large value for it (I use -6pc) title pages that have
>> centred titles look very odd, as the page "centre" is offset. You can
>> do customised page masters, of course, but it would be nice not to
>> have
>> to for this...
>
> Well, the way the title.left.margin code is written,
> everything is indented by that amount *except* items
> that explicitly outdent themselves to the left
> margin.  For example, the header and footer blocks
> outdent by the amount of title.left.margin in the
> same way the section titles do.  That means any
> other items like titles that need to be at the
> left margin must be outdented to overcome the
> page-sequence indent.
>
> The other approach would be to not put the indent on
> the page sequence, but to indent all the content that isn't
> a section title.

I understand how title.margin.left works. My point is that if you use
it for a substantial hanging title in the body of the document, it
messes up the formatting of other parts of the document (titlepages,
frontmatter, backmatter). My proposal is to have separate
title.left.margin parameters for each fo:page-sequence-master, to give
finer grain control.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Nick Hunt