Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XInclude, chapter headers & changing font sizein <appendix>

>>>>> Bob Stayton  writes:

-> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:28:55AM -0700, Alex L wrote:

[...]

>> 2. I can see how to customize the XSL-FO stylesheets so that I get
>> running chapter headers with numbers as I do for titlepages. e.g. I
>> have a document like:
>>
>> <chapter> <title>FooBar is
>> frobnicatious</title><titleabbrev>FooBar</titleabbrev>
>>
>> and I can get to the running header to appear as either
>>
>> "Chapter 1: FooBar is frobnicatious", "FooBar", but not "Chapter 1:
>> FooBar"
>>
>> I did this using Bob's excellent book (which I'm ordering real
>> soon), here: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PrintHeaders.html
>> and used object.titlemarkup to switch from the first to the second
>> style, but can't get the third.  It seems that Chapter %n +
>> titleabbrev is mutually exclusive.  How would one go about getting
>> the "Chapter %n" + <titleabbrev> rather than the "Chapter 1 %n"
>> <title> full title case?  Is this simply a feature that would need
>> to be added?

-> The foresightful Norm has provided another template named
-> 'object.titleabbrev.markup' for that purpose.  Unfortunately, it
-> doesn't do what I would expect, which is to output the number label
-> and abbreviated title.  Instead, it just outputs the abbreviated
-> title.  Since the titleabbrev.markup template already does that, I
-> think object.titleabbrev.markup should add the label.

-> You can use this customization of it, and I'll investigate putting
-> this in the stylesheet distribution:

[...]

Bob,

Thanks!  I didn't spot that extra template.

>> 3. In the XSL-FO DocBook stylesheets, I want to display all the
>> body text of a particular component-level element, for example
>> <appendix> and other backmatter, in a smaller font from the main
>> body font (say 7pt).  I thought I could use pagemasters to do this
>> and following Bob's instructions at::
>> http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageDesign.html

[...]

-> The fo:region-body element in XSL-FO does not take inheritable
-> properties like font-size.  It has to go on either fo:page-sequence
-> or fo:flow.  Those are both initiated by the content templates, not
-> the page setup templates.  That means you need to customize the
-> appendix template, etc.

Yuck.  Hmm, I was afraid you were going to say that was the case.  I
always have an aversion to customizing major element templates
directly, because it's always a hassle to port changes forward for new
releases since you never know if your customizations will break the
new version or more likely, you miss out on bugfixes/new features that
have been included.

It seems strange that if the region-body is supposed to be for
customizing page design (margins etc.), it isn't also responsible for
propagating font changes within those page-masters.  Is this simply an
oversight of XSL-FO, or is it a design "feature"?

Otherwise, is there any plan for developing a parallel customization
framework (similar to user.pagemasters, but perhaps using
xsl:attribute-sets). that could be used to customize the different
component level items without having to fiddle with the element
templates directly just like with verbatim.properties?

i.e. set appendix.properties, which gets passed into the <appendix>
template in fo/component.xsl something like so:

<fo:page-sequence hyphenate="{$hyphenate}"
                  master-reference="{$master-reference}"
                  xsl:use-attribute-sets="appendix.properties">

Should I file an RFE at SourceForge for this?

-> There is actually a DTD for XSL-FO that RenderX makes available.
-> There is a browsable version of the DTD at:

->   http://www.sagehill.net/livedtd/xslfo/index.html

-> There you can see what attributes each fo element can take.

OK, thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Thanks to all for the (as always) helpful responses!

Alex

(PS. Does anybody know how to "disable" mail delivery while remaining
subscribed for posting-approval purpose as you can do with Mailman?  I
use GMANE to read the list to save space in my e-mail archives.  It
used to be setup this way, and then all of a sudden it stopped working
and I started getting all the mail again, and I had to unsubscribe.)