Subject: unresolved xincludes with xsltproc

I notice when using XIncludes with xsltproc that
it will report an error when it cannot open
the file referenced by the href attribute.  But
if you use the xpointer syntax, there is no error
if the file is there but the xpointer does
not resolve.

For example, a bad filename:

<xi:include href="badname.xml#foo"/>

will fail with this message:

warning: failed to load external entity "badname.xml"
XInclude: could not load badname.xml#foo, and no fallback was found

But when I use a good filename but a bad id
in the xpointer, I get no error message at all:

<xi:include href="goodname.xml#nosuchid"/>

Neither xmllint nor xsltproc report this as a problem.
Nor does it use the fallback, if it is specified.
But of course, this is a problem if content goes missing
because of a typo in the xpointer expression.

I realize that an xpath expression that resolves
to no nodes is a valid expression, but it is not
what was intented.
Does anyone have a way to flag such missing XIncludes?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com