Subject: Annotation System: Modifying creation of links

Hello list,

The following may seem a strange question at first:

Whenever the XSLT-stylesheets (for chunked HTML output) produce an
HTML-anchor like

where 'foo' references some (position in some) generated chunk, I'd like
to prefix 'foo' with a certain string, e.g. 'Deliverer.cgi".

Is this easy to achieve or would I have to modify 500.000 lines in the
XSLT-stylesheets?

Background of this question:

I want to write a protoype for a DocBook annotation system. This system
should allow readers to write online comments for, say, every <para> and
<programlisting> that immediately after being written appear in the
online version so that everybody can read them and comment further on or
ask some questions or...

One way this could be done is via a CGI script that delivers *all* HTML
chunk pages and inserts the comments on-the-fly. The
comments/annotations themselves should be stored in a separate place.

The creation of the necessary anchor points in the HTML files for the
annotations to be filled in later can easily be achieved by extending
the usual XSL-templates for <para> and <programlisting>.

The problem is that for this to work, all links have to call the CGI
script or one would leave the system!

If this is not possible or just too complicated, there is still the
possibility that the CGI script inserts an annotation right into the
correct HTML chunk file as soon as it arrives, but this leaves the
reader with no possibilities of interaction, e.g., opening and closing
annotation sections for online view, switching the whole mechanism on
and off and so on.

A much better approach is to collect all annotations in a seperate place
(e.g., a database) and to fill them in on-thy-fly in the way the reader
wants it.

I am glad for any further ideas,

Joachim

--
Joachim Ziegler                       Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85
Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik    66123 Saarbrücken