Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] indenting verbatim environments

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:58:40AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   given that i was having some problems with this before, and i'm just
> about to upgrade to the 1.62.4 stylesheets, what's the recommended way to
> add a small indent to my verbatim environments?  the previous problem was
> that the indent i was trying to add did not take into account whether the
> verbatim element was already a child element and therefore already
> indented.  so which is the correct approach?
>
> <!--
> <xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties">
>  <xsl:attribute name="margin-left">0.25in</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
> -->
>
> <!--
> <xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties">
>  <xsl:attribute name="start-indent">body-start() + 0.25in</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
> -->

The "right" answer is to use margin-left, which indents
relative to the containing block.  start-indent is
measured relative to the reference container, which is
usually the page.  The thread about using the body-start()
function outside of a fo:list-block seemed to conclude that
it wasn't appropriate.

But FOP doesn't seem to properly handle nested margin-left
indents.  XEP does.  So the "right" answer depends on your
FO processor.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com