Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Profiling, in speciial case one part in all other cases other part

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:46:05PM +0100, mjlsanders.freeler.nl     wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently working on a set of modular manuals where I sometimes need to
> include different text for some of the manuals. I would like to use
> profiling for this but I do not want to name a profile for each device. E.g.
>
> <para thingie="withredbutton">Push the red button to operate the
> device.</para>
> <para>Push the blue button and shake well to operate the device.<para>
>
> Where I want to include the firts para for the device with the red button
> but the second para for the thousand an rapidly growing other models of
> thingie.
>
> Is there a way to do so without having to update this part of the manaul for
> every new thingie we make?

There is no way a process can deselect the second para
if it is not marked in some way.  Unless the deselection is
based on its position (any para sibling following a para
that has a "thingie" attribute).  If so, then you could modify
the profiling stylesheet to handle such a rule.
But basing the deselection on position seems risky to me.

I'm not clear on the selection rules you are trying to
apply here.  Are there combinations of attributes
that are needed, or only one?  Could there be a
set of paras, only one of which you want?
Perhaps a more detailed example would help.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com