Subject: Re: Chunk transformation error

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.com> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:06:40PM -0600, Jeffery Biss wrote:
|> Hello All,
|>
|> I am trying to use the chunk style sheet and get this error message:
|>
|> "g:\docbook-xsl-1.62.4\html\chunk.xsl(0,0): The xsl:apply-imports
|> instruction may only occur within an xsl:template instruction with a
|> match attribute, and may not occur within an xsl:for-each instruction.
|> Error occurred during compilation of included or imported stylesheet
|> 'chunk-common.xsl'."

I believe this error is the result of an over-conservative
interpretation of the spec.

XSLT 1.0 says (pardon me for quoting the source, the HTML hasn't
apparently found its way into my cache since I rebuilt my machine on
the new disk):

  Rule">At any point in the processing of a stylesheet, there is a
  <term>current template rule</term>.  Whenever a template rule is
  chosen by matching a pattern, the template rule becomes the current
  template rule for the instantiation of the rule's template. When an
  <code>xsl:for-each</code> element is instantiated, the current
  template rule becomes null for the instantiation of the content of the

No where does it say that calling a named template has any effect on
the current template rule, and I don't believe it does. The 1.0 spec
should probably be clearer on this point.

The 2.0 spec is explicit:

  The current template rule is not affected by invoking named
  templates (see 10.1 Named Templates) or named attribute sets (see
  10.2 Named Attribute Sets).

|> Can anyone offer any advise or information so I can use chunk.xsl? I
|> looked through the files and am not well versed enough to find the problem.
|>
|> I am using Wattle software's XMLWriter which uses the MSXML engine
|> (currently 4.0 SP2). Their tech support told me the error message is
|> generated by the MSXML engine.

It's an MSXML bug.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Competence, like truth, beauty and
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | contact lenses, is in the eye of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | the beholder.--Laurence J. Peter