Subject: [no subject]

Is it possible to use WML, get a cleaner xml (save options?) and ship it =
translation without the tranlator going bananas over the horrible xml?

If a messy WML is used will cvs join and cvs diffs (tracability) be a
problem?

* Modular files DocBook vs Word 2003
It is possible to use a modular structure in Word as well as in DocBook.
What does DocBook do better which Word can't?

* Cross-links
Is it possible to create live cross-links in Word which if used online =
e.g.
opens another PDF-file?

* How hard is it to create a DTD/schema for Word 2003?

My arguments in favor of DocBook:

One of my strongest arguments is that writers no longer need to meddle =
with
layout since working with xml, css and a dtd provides structure and =
layout
for you. Another strong argument is that by using a dtd a writer is
constrained to use what ever elements available in the dtd.=20

* Pretty XML which can be used to produce many outputs (Word can do that =
as
well but with slightly less control of the output.)

* Parts of the XML can easily be reused in other documents, e.g. We have =
E-learning project which uses flash and xml. It's possible to import =
parts
of the existing documentation into the E-learning application with a =
small
amount of programming. (Can Word provide a similar easy to use xml =
source?)

* Easy to manage in cvs.=20

* Creates PDF's with bookmarks. (Our current Adobe batch PDF-writer =
can't
produce PDF's with bookmarks!)

* Easy to include in build environment. (Hmm, we have a build env for =
our
PDF files and a trial env for Word -> HTML Help)

* Entities. Big advantage in DocBook. Makes it possible to easily change
content on-the-fly for new releases, automatic branding for partners =
etc.
(Can you do this using scripts in Word? )

* Layout is difficult to manage in Word.

* Word templates are big source of bugs, e.g. Toc, numbering and style
problems appear from time to time. Also templates can be overridden =
(often
by mistake) by users since they are not centralized and only =
constraining to
a point.

Arguments against DocBook and XXE

* Word is a standard and all our users are familliar with it.

* Built in grammar and spell checking support for many languages.

Do you have any ideas/arguments that might convince my co-workers to use
DocBook/XXE instead of Word 2003?=20

Sorry for my long post.

Thanks for your help!

/Kenneth

=20
=20

Kenneth Johansson	Technical Documentation Manager
Sectra Imtec AB
Teknikringen 20		E-mail: ke-joh AT sectra DOT se
SE-583 30 Link=F6ping	Phone:	+46 13 23 52 00
SWEDEN			Web:	http://www.sectra.se