Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] callouts don't work in various settings

----- Original Message -----
From: "Krueger, Carsten" <ckr@ti.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 3:32 AM

http://www.biglist.com/lists/dssslist/archives/199809/msg00002.html

> In addition to that I want to use callouts to comment certain parts of the
> DTD.
> These callouts should not be mixed with the text but somehow stay outside
> i.e.
> again to ease merging. And I want these parts to appear shaded in the
> resulting
> documents. A full example of what I expect to work follows:

> <programlistingco>
> <areaspec>
> <area coords="2" id="configdef_dtd_c1"/>
> <area coords="6" id="configdef_dtd_c2"/>
> </areaspec>
> <programlisting><![CDATA[
> <!ELEMENT configDef     ( property+ )>
> <!ATTLIST configDef       name        CDATA #REQUIRED
>                           description CDATA #REQUIRED
>                           reference   CDATA #REQUIRED>
> <!ELEMENT property      EMPTY>
> <!ATTLIST property        name        CDATA #REQUIRED
>                           value       CDATA #REQUIRED>
> ]]>
> </programlisting>
> <calloutlist>
> <callout arearefs="configset_dtd_c1">
> <callout arearefs="configset_dtd_c2">
> </calloutlist>
> </programlistingco>
>

> First thing I found is that I have to enable use.extensions in the
> stylesheets
> (FO and HTML for 1.6.13 and 1.6.24). But that still only partly does the
> job.

Just to be completely accurate here, I think you mean versions
1.61.3 and 1.62.4 of the stylesheets. Yes, you need the
XSL extension functions that Norm wrote, which work in
Saxon or Xalan.

> For the HTML stylesheets it only works if I set shade.verbatim
> to 0. Otherwise the callouts appear on column 0 and the text is broken
> (after each callout) into differently shaded blocks.

This seems to be a bug in the callout extension when shade.verbatim
is turned on.  It definitely messes up the table that is used to provide the
background color for programlisting.  Norm Walsh needs
to look at this, so I will file a bug report on it.

One workaround you might consider is using CSS for the shading
instead of shade.verbatim for HTML output. See this message
for an example:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2002-q4/msg00276.html

> For the FO stylesheets it only works if I set callout.graphics
> to 1. Toggling callout.unicode does not help.

callout.graphics and callout.unicode are mutually exclusive.

> When setting callout.graphics to 0 and callout.unicode to 1 a '#'
character
> is shown where I would expect the callout to appear. I guess the FO output
> should be corrected from (_X_ represents a Unicode character):
>     &lt;ELEMENT configDef ( property+ )&gt; _X_
>     &lt;ELEMENT configDef ( property+ )&gt; <fo:inline
> font-family="ZapfDingbats">_X_</fo:inline>

Actually, callout.unicode works for me with version 1.62.4
of the stylesheets and FOP 0.20.5.  Did you try those
versions?

> When setting callout.graphics to 0 and callout.unicode to 0 the callouts
are
> shown correctly but the callout arearefs have disappeared completely.

This is a bug in FOP, which doesn't seem to display background
color for inline areas.  When both callout.graphics and callout.unicode
are turned off, the stylesheet uses an inline area with a number in it
and a background color to simulate a rectangular callout bug.
But it sets the text color to white, and with no background color
it displays as white-on-white.

> Maybe I'm completely on the wrong track. Any help, hints or pointers are
> appreciated.

Hope this helps.