Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Table Column text formatting.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janeene Webb" <webdesign@dawnmist.net>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 10:29 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Table Column text formatting.

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to specify that a column is being used as a title type
column
> without having to individually specify it each entry for that column?
>
> e.g.
>
> Code    Name      Description
> A       Active    The Active Code
> I       Inactive  The Inactive Code
>
> I want everything in the "Code" Column above to have the text formatted
> differently (generally bold) to the normal text formatting.
>
> Output is for both xhtml and PDF, using Saxon, FOP, and the XSL 1.62.4
> stylesheets, and I *think* following the CALS specs for tables.

Cals tables don't have a way to indicate row headers, which is what you
are looking for.  You have to do it cell by cell.

> Also - is it possible to specify column widths as a number of characters
(like
> the "em" in html CSS)? And if so, which unit do I use?

Yes, you can use "em".  But keep in mind that 1em is wider than
the average character in a proportional width font.  In 10pt type,
1em is 10pt, and letters range in width typically from 3 to 10pt,
with most clustered around 5pt.