Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Printing from HTMLhelp doesn't work properly

Hi,

I got an answer from people on the mshelp2 (MSHelp2@yahoogroups.com) list,
see below.

Aparantly this is a bug in HTML Help 1.x, which has been fixed in v. 2.2.
Will support for HTML Help 2.x be available for DocBook? Or is it available?

Thanks for your help.

/Kenneth

--response below--
Kenneth,

> I build chm's from DocBook DTD using various tools.
The people on the
> DocBook lists don't think this is a DocBook related
problem.

Yes, both problems are caused by fairly long-standing bugs in HTML Help.

> When I print from HTMLhelp viewer, only the text
visible in the viewer
> gets printed, not all. Also the text gets cut on the
right side like in
> regular webbrowsers despite that my viewer window
shouldn't be too big for
> the text to fit on a printout.

This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 302505
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302505). As far as I'm aware, the
workaround of printing the temporary HTML file from Internet Explorer is the
only practical one available.

> When I select the option <Options -> Print... ->
Print the selected
> heading and all subtopics> my page is correctly
formatted and everything
> gets printed, only that my css isn't applied to the
printout which is wierd.

You may be able to fix this by upgrading the HTML Help runtime components on
your system. See
http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/hh_info.htm#hh14 for more information on the
problem, and use Critical Update 811630 to upgrade the components
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630). If you continue to have
problems then you could try the workaround of using the ms-its syntax to
link each topic file to the style sheet. For example, instead of the <head>
section of each topic file containing a link like this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" />

it could contain one like this:

<link rel="stylesheet"
href="ms-its:filename.chm::/styles.css" />

This should ensure that the HTML Help engine can always find the style sheet
when you choose to print multiple topics. If you use this technique then
you'll need to add the .css file to the [FILES] list in your project (.hhp)
file, to ensure that it is compiled into the help file.

Pete

MSHelp2 Home Page: http://www.helpware.net/mshelp2/
----

Kenneth Johansson	Technical Documentation Manager
Sectra Imtec AB
Teknikringen 20		E-mail: ke-joh AT sectra DOT se
SE-583 30 Linköping	Phone:	+46 13 23 52 00
SWEDEN			Web:	http://www.sectra.se