Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tools for DocBook authoring by non-hackers

Hello,

I downloaded the trial version of Syntext's Serna.  I'll just answer a
few of my questions for the benefit of the list.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:56:36PM +1030, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:50:20PM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
>
> > > What products should I be looking at?
> >
> > I think you should look at Serna, http://www.syntext.com/ .  This
> > is not my opinion that Serna is either bad or good. Serna is just
> > targeted toward the needs you have described.
>
> That looks remarkably good.  It certainly seems very
> DocBook-oriented.  Have you used it, David?  I've just scanned
> through the FAQ, and it refers to a 'modified' set of DocBook XSL
> stylesheets---are these just for the on-screen rendering?

These 'modified' stylesheets are just for the on-screen rendering.
Serna does not implement the entire FO spec, so I presume these
stylesheets are modified to remove elements they don't support.

> I presume that the publishing hooks described would allow me to rig
> up xsltproc and XEP as the tools for actual HTML and PDF output?

This is possible.  I have tested it using XEP and Saxon (as
distributed with XEP), and the standard DocBook XSL stylesheets.  It
works exactly as expected.

This could well be the tool I need.  I will report back when I have
customised it some more if anyone is interested.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net
mailto:phoadley@maths.adelaide.edu.au