Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xml to mp3

At 02:17 29/01/2004, Lee Archie wrote:
>I'm presently bogged down converting DocBook XML chapters of (academic)
>textbooks to MP3 files for students with disabilities as follows:
>
>XML -> SGML -(lynx) -> TXT -(Festival) -> WAV -(Lame) -> MP3
>
>Is anyone acquainted with a faster way to output MP3 from XML using open
>source tools?

Its the open source tools that is the pig.
XML -> ssml -> audio would be an ideal chain.

The ssml tools are megabucks though.

I'd love to see (help with?) a docbook to plain text
stylesheet for accessibility.

I'd also suggest asking the recipients of your work
if they are OK with plain text, as apposed to audio,
to render using their own Access Technology?
   If they prefer audio, chances are their own tts is
better than yours :-) And they are used to it.

If festival is Open source, (I'm guessing you're talking linux?)
does it take any markup? I'd be concerned about needing
'say-as' markup for junk such as tags n stuff :-)

HTH DaveP.