Subject: Xrefs to external .fm documents not exporting to XML from FrameMaker

I'm new to the list and I've checked the archives and haven't seen anything
like this.

My question arises from a FrameMaker-->XML-->DocBook workaround. I have some
XSL from a previous post (thanks!) that converts xrefs to external (xml)
documents (i.e. olinks!) to olinks. FrameMaker will not properly export
olinks to XML (without an API) as far as I've been able to determine (based
on quite a bit of research) so the XSL to transform xrefs to olinks after
export to xml from FrameMaker is very useful to me.

The problem I'm having is that xrefs (created in FrameMaker) to other
documents are not being exported to XML at all. Xrefs to elements *within*
the same FrameMaker document *are* exported fine. I've imported the DocBook
4.2 DTD into frame and haven't altered it (the DocBook-derived EDD) that
much.

Finally the question: Does anyone know of a way to tell FrameMaker (or
whatever is telling FrameMaker) to just export the xrefs to XML and *not*
verify whether or not they are in the same Frame document (and subsequently
obliterate them if they aren't)? All I want Frame to do is export the xref
to XML without messing with it.

I've tried setting the xref linkend and endterm attributes just to strings,
to see if that would cause Frame to leave them alone. I also tried to create
my own cross-reference format and map it to xref using Frame's read/write
rules. I know this is contrary to the spirit of xrefs but they end up as
olinks so...

Thanks!

-Scott Eck

eck@endinfosys.com