Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Using XIncludes to include infosets

At 12:45 2004 02 02 +0100, Peter Ring wrote:
>You have my sympathy. It's no fun these days to comply to the recs and
>working drafts.
>
>I think I can articulate the sorry state of xpointer() a bit more for those
>that perceive this as a mere implementation issue.
>
>XInclude depends on XPointer

No, it doesn't, if by XPointer you mean the XPointer() scheme which
is "stuck" at Working Draft (and unlikely to become unstuck).

It "depends on" (at least as far as allowing one to include parts of
documents) the XPointer Recommendations which include the XPointer Framework
and Element() scheme which I don't believe are in a sorry state.

>depends on XPath;

No, none of the XPointer Recommendations depend on XPath.  Only
the XPointer() scheme--which is not and probably never will be
a Recommendation--depends on XPath.

paul

p.s.  I share lots of Daniel's frustration, as he knows, though
I was never a fan of "full" XPointer.  But I believe one should
be careful not to tar the existing XPointer Recommendations with
the same brush of failure that the XPointer() scheme (in some
folks' opinions, rightfully) experienced.