Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XInclude aware authoring tool

Sebastian Fey wrote:

> im looking for an editor that is XInlude aware i.e. if i open the
> wrapper document the inclusions are automatically done.

AFAIK Professional version of XMLmind XML Editor works with XIncludes.
You can see XIncluded parts as if they were present in the document.
They are read only, but by pressing button you can get new window with
contents of the XIncluded part to edit.

> even jEdit cant do that ... why? does no one need to look at a
> document as a whole? is it any hard to implement this?

jEdit is a plain text editor with handy powerfull plugins. But
processing XIncludes means that equation one window = one file isn't
true anymore.  IMHO thus you can't expect XInclude support you want in a
common text editors, only specialized XML ones can use necessary
underlying structures to support this feature.

But I think that it is not necassary to have such editor for editing
large XML files. When you modularize your documents (using entities or
XIncludes) you usually do it in order to work on smaller manageable
pieces of document like chapters. For me is then sufficient if I can
edit chunk of document and editor is able to correctly load DTD
according to "main" document (this is necessary when using entities, not
necessary with XIncludes). Both Emacs and jEdit can do that and probably
other plain text based editors also.

					Jirka

   Jirka Kosek
   e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz