Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] fop problems

David N. Welton writes:

> [...]
>
> So far so good.
>
> fop -fo rivet.fo  -pdf rivet.pdf &> oputfile
>
> This seems to generate a lot of errors, characterized by lines such as:

The whole bunch of errors produced by fop is something you can get
accustomed to.  I found most of them don't really hurt.

In my PDF files, I've found all of those you have quoted, and I don't
bother since apparently the stylesheets contain enough workarounds
to make fop create acceptable results.

> [INFO] area contents overflows area in line

This, however,  is a hint.... (see below)

> The resulting PDF file doesn't seem to include parts of my text, bits
> of XML such as:
>
>         <varlistentry>
>           <term>
>         <cmdsynopsis>
>           <arg>BeforeScript</arg>
>           <arg><replaceable>script</replaceable></arg>
>         </cmdsynopsis>
>           </term>
>           <listitem>
>         <para>
> [... snipped ...]
>
> Where the cmdsynopsis is more or less not there or 'messed up' (see
> the PDF).

A variablelist in docbook takes a 'termlength' attribute, and if you are
using fop, it is advisable to supply a "good" value here.  I guess that
the [INFO] above tries to tell you that fop couldn't fit your term into
its place.  IIRC this is a "known" fop issue.

--
HTH,
haj