Subject: Recursive resolution

Hi there,

I have the Docbook dtds and xsls at both my university account (where
there is limited disk space, so I uncompress them into /tmp before use),
at home at /usr/docbook and when I find my Windows computer somewhere in
the rubble, at c:\whatever\docbook

Now I want to write a set of generic docbook tools, like makefiles,
templates for my customization for stylesheets, automated Website build
builders ... etc, that I want to make as easy as possible to check out
and deploy on any computer.

So I got this idea : I use a resolver. I write a catalog.xml file, that
maps the uri of various resources (stylesheets) to my own files. For the
DTDs I would like to just use the nextCatalog feature to include the
catalogs that came with the DTDs..

But I still need to  make a lot of absolute path references in the catalog:
<rewriteURI
   uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current";
   rewritePrefix="file:///tmp/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.62.4/"/>

Not good for my mobility idea.

OK, I think, I just delete the above and introduce a fake top level name :
<rewriteURI
   uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current";
   rewritePrefix="file:///docbook.fake.home/docbook-xsl-1.62.4/"/>

and map that fake prefix to the real path (at only ONE place in the file):
 <rewriteURI
        uriStartString="file:///docbook.fake.home/"
rewritePrefix="file:///tmp/docbook/"/>

It should work, if the resolver recursed just ONCE. It does not work.

Is there some sort of spec saying whether the resolver should recurse or
not ? Found a bug ? AM a bug ?

Of course, if there is a less creative approach to solving my problem,
that will be OK too. I just want my stuff to deploy with as little
configuration as possible, and I want to be able to use stable names in
the processing instructions in my documents, or in my make files, such
as "file:///docbook.fake.home/html/chunk.xsl" and not like
"/oh/that/is/right/that/path/was/for/my/other/computer/chunk.xsl
and preferably also without absolute pathnames more than a couple of
places in catalog or make files.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Soren