Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Section Orientation

Bob,

Thanks very much for this pointer, it has helped me enormously.  However there is one small issue, that I believe someone else on this list had, but I was not able to find the solution.

I have successfully got the PSMI tags into my XML document, and I run it through the appropriate XSLT files. However when I get to processing the document with FOP I get a warning saying that the 'reference-orientaion' is not yet implemented.  I believe this is the last stumbling block before I get the document looking how I want it.

I did find on the of the users on this list had managed to work around the problem and had attached their XSLT that sorted this problem out, however this attachement does not seem to be avaliable.

If anyone knows how to get around this problem then please can you let me know.

Thanks very much,

Russell
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 6:14 PM

First, your new template is not working because you aren't understanding how XSL templates and parameters work.  You can't reset a global parameter from within a template.  The effect of your template is as follows:

1. When a sect1 with attribute @orient='l' is encountered, set a local parameter named 'page.orientation'.

2. When the template is finished, the parameter goes out of scope, and no further processing is done on the sect1.

You have overridden the default processing for sect1 when that attribute is set, so that is why the section disappears.  In general, when you want to extend the processing done for a match, you would use xsl:apply-imports to apply the standard DocBook templates to the sect1.  But the parameter setting will have no effect, because the page orientation is set when a page sequence in FO is started, but a sect1 does not start a page sequence.

Unfortunately, switching orientation in the middle of a page sequence is not a standard feature in XSL-FO.  It can be done, but, you will need to apply Ken Holman's brilliant Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI) solution:

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 8:02 AM

Hi,

As a follow up to the email this morning, I think I am a bit closer to getting this working, but I am failing at the last hurdle.

I have added an attribute to the <sect1> tag in my XML that says orient='l' or 'p'.  I then have a custom XSL in my FO directory that has:

<xsl:template match="sect1[@orient = 'l']">
    <xsl:param name="page.orientation" select="landscape"/>
</xsl:template>

However whilst this template match is being picked up, this section is not displayed on the final PDF.  The document only has the title page and TOC.

Can anyone give me any pointers for this one please?

Thanks, Russell