Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Different olink dbs for XHTML, HTML and FO?

Oliver Fischer wrote:

> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
>> No, in the current implementation you use the olink database generated
>> from
>> the HTML side on the FO side as well. That's because the FO side does not
>> currently form active links between documents.  For links outside the
>> current document, it generates a text reference only.  It will form an
>> active link only if the olink is in the current document.
>

> Is it difficult to implement active links on the FO side too? Or is it
> simple a lot of work, which is simply not done?

There is no problem on FO side, but on Acrobat Reader side. AR has
problems with relative links on file system. You can't create reasonably
workable relative links to files like "userguide.pdf",
"installation.pdf". This works only with HTTP URLs which means that you
must put all PDFs on web-server. Not very usable if you want to
distribute linked PDF documents on CD-ROM.

I know that we were solving same problem with PDFs generated by pdfTeX
and only particular solution was to use embedded java web-server on CD-ROM.

					Jirka

   Jirka Kosek
   e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
   http://www.kosek.cz