Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] OT: XML decl. in DTD

Michael Wiedmann wrote:

> In looking over the XML 1.0 specification I get the impression that this might
> be correct but I'm not completely sure.
>
> Any opinions?

It's perfectly legal. External DTD is in this sense treated as an
external entity which can start with encoding declaration.

> What would happen if an XML file contains a different encoding
> (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>)?

Each entity from which is XML file composed can be in different
encoding. This is not problem as XML parsers do proper encoding
conversions on load and expose content of XML document as Unicode strings.

					Jirka

         Úvod do XML 3.5.            DocBook 18.-19.5.
         XSLT 24.-26.5.              XML pro vývojáře 7.-8.6.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature