Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] stylesheets for DocBook/TEI 'marriage'?

Gour wrote:

> Recently I saw slides from the Sebastian Rahtz's presentation about the
> (possible) 'marriage' between DocBook & TEI i.e. the upcoming versions V5 of
> DocBook & TEI where it should be possible to mix the two in one document.

Due to Relax NG flexibility it will be quite easy to create customized
schema which combines DocBook with TEI to several degrees. IMHO this
won't be in the default DocBook schema.

> It looks very ineteresting and I'd like to hear some opinions how is one
> supposed to resolve the issue of writing stylesheets¹ to support transformation
> of these 'married' XML documents into something else?

It should be quite easy if there are no conflicts in element names,
named templates names and mode names. I don't know TEI stylesheets in
the detail so I can't comment on this. But both new versions of DocBook
and TEI will put their elements in a namespace. Thus element name
ambiguity will go away. Named templates can be also put in a namespace
if this will be problem.

So if all goes well it should be sufficient to import both DocBook and
TEI stylesheets into customized one. Anyway it will be good XSLT
excersise. :-)

> Does the trick maybe lies in the fact that schema is expressed in Relax NG?

No. One of the Relax NG fundamentals is that it doesn't modify input
documents (e.g. by attribute defaulting). Relax NG "just" makes very
easy to customize and extend existing schemas.

         Úvod do XML 3.5.            DocBook 18.-19.5.
         XSLT 24.-26.5.              XML pro vývojáře 7.-8.6.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature