Subject: Indenting elements such as <screen>

I have elements in my book that are laid out like so:

      <screen>
        <computeroutput> ..... </computeroutput>
      </screen>

I indent each new tag by two spaces so that the XML is human readable and
I can edit it easily.  However, as the <screen> is literal the indent
spaces are taken into account.  As I see it I have two choices, either
remove the spaces and have the whole block flush with column 0 or wrap
each line in it's own <screen> tags.  Solution one is messy as I have a
large number of these in my document and solution two I doubt is a very
good way of doing things.

How do other people do this and still get XML documents that are nicely
formatted?

An odd question I know but any suggestions welcome,

David