Subject: Multiple xrefs rendering

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to customize the rendering of multiple xrefs in the
following way. Say I have some DocBook text like:

   DocBook <xref linkend="db_homepage"/> <xref linkend="db_tdg"/> is an
<acronym>XML</acronym> application...

where the linkends are entries in my bibliography. I'd like that to be
rendered as:

   DocBook [5 12] is an XML application...

rather than:

   DocBook [5] [12] is an XML application...

(The bibliography is already numbered.) I had a look at the Customizing
Cross References chapter in DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide, but as I
undestand it the solution I'm searching for is not to be found there. Is
that xref formatting entirely possible?

Best Regards,
Giulio Piancastelli.