Subject: Microsoft Help compiler crashes when htmlhelp.use.hhk = 1

Hi there,

  I'm not even sure where to begin looking for this problem.
When I run a transformation to HTML Help with
<xsl:param name="htmlhelp.use.hhk">0</xsl:param>
It runs, I get a .chm file, and it has index entries, but I do get an error from the help compiler: HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling ix01.html

however if I run with htmlhelp.use.hhk set to 1, help workshop crashes and I can't even open the .chm file.

To make sure my overrides weren't doing anything weird, I stripped down the stylesheet.
My stylesheet now imports docbook-xsl-1.65.1/htmlhelp/profile-htmlhelp.xsl
and does nothing else other than the following:
<!-- For HTML Help output: Want to use hhk, but it makes help compiler crash. -->
<xsl:param name="htmlhelp.use.hhk">1</xsl:param>

<!-- Added template to handle Msgset Title.
     It was missing in the off-the-shelf templates.-->
  <xsl:template match="msgset/title">
    <H3><xsl:apply-templates/></H3>
  </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="indexinfo"> <!-- there's no template to handle this -->
</xsl:template>

I'm using Microsoft HTML Help Workshop 4.74.8702.0, hhc.exe
What am I doing wrong?  What should I look for?

Trish Billard
trish.billard@hp.com
(408) 285-5462