Subject: Re: kerning / tracking on nested ordered lists

>>> Chris Johnson 06/28/2004 10:10:19 AM >>>
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply - is there a reference for processing
instructions, both html and fo?

Another approach would be to modify the template that processes the
list, where the width of the block would be calculated from the length
of the string... would this be worthy of an RFE, or has this not come up
before? (you must remember, this is an *academic* policy document...)

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Johnson

Web Developer
Capilano College
North Vancouver, Canada

604.986.1911 ext. 3455
cjohnson@capcollege.bc.ca

>>> "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> 06/25/2004 5:44:04 PM >>>
Well, when I nest orderedlists, I get different formats for the
numbers,
such as 1, A, i, etc.  You must be using a customization to get the
stacked
arabic numbers, right?

In any case, I don't think tracking is the problem here.  I think the
problem is that XEP is trying to fit the wide number into a narrow
space.
The default width of the block for the number is 2em, and three digit
numbers don't fit very well.  I think you need to widen the space for
the
wide numbers.  You can do that with a processing instruction in the
nested
orderedlist:

<orderedlist>
<?dbfo label-width="4em"?>