Subject: Problems with unicode character encoding output

Hi everyone,

I am having problems getting the results I want for unicode characters. My
document has a lot of Pali characters, many of which are roman letters with dot
below or above and macrons above. I have created character entities for those
not provided with DocBook in my dbgenent.mod file, such as this:

<!ENTITY ddotbelow "&#7693;"> <!-- LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH DOT BELOW -->

In my customization layer, I have included the following after reading Bob's
book:

<xsl:param name="saxon.character.representation">native;decimal</xsl:param>
<xsl:output encoding="UTF-8" indent="no" method="html"/>
<xsl:param name="chunker.output.encoding">UTF-8</xsl:param>

However, I keep experiencing the following problems:
- My expectation would be that when I produce my chunked xhtml output that each
occurence of the "&dotbelow;" entity would output as "&#7693;". However, each
entity in my document gets replace by some weird characters in my HTML
documents. For instance, the word Pali, which should output as
"P&#257;&#7735;i" (for dec) or "P&#x0101;&#x1E37;i" (for hex), outputs as
"Pāḷi".
- I cannot get the <meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
http-equiv="Content-Type"> tag to output in my HTML.
- When I choose the UTF-8 encoding in my IE 6 browser it works fine, but it
doesn't stick (meaning I have to change the encoding everytime I refresh or
visit a new page.). I am assuming that this happen because I can get my meta
tag inserted.
-My HTML has tons of the letter "Â" everywhere. I would like them to go away.
:) One place where they are always located is between section numbers and
titles, if this makes any sense

I have read Bob's book a few times on this subject but I am obviously getting
lost somewhere

Thanks everyone!

=====
Rene Hache