Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Header and Footer missing from Chapter Titlepages

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Shevitz" <dshevitz@singlestep.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 12:37 PM

> Hi all (again)...
>
> Might as well ask this question now, as I've already spent most of the
> morning trying to figure it out:
>
> I'm trying to create a document built on multiple chapter files. Again,
> I'm using XMLMind as my editor. The generated output is coming along
> fine, except that my headers and footers are absent when a new chapter
> begins.
>
> I'm positive this is caused by my title page setup (after all, by
> default title pages don't appear in the book title page.

I think you meant by default the page header does not appear on the book
title page?

> I found this in
> the pagesetup.xsl file:
>
>   <!-- Really output a header? -->
>   <xsl:choose>
>     <xsl:when test="$pageclass = 'titlepage' and $gentext-key = 'book'
>                     and $sequence='first'">
>       <!-- no, book titlepages have no headers at all -->
>     </xsl:when>
>     <xsl:when test="$sequence = 'blank' and $headers.on.blank.pages = 0">
>       <!-- no output -->
>     </xsl:when>
>     <xsl:otherwise>
>       <xsl:copy-of select="$candidate"/>
>     </xsl:otherwise>
>   </xsl:choose>
> </xsl:template>

This is in the header.table template.  This isn't the problem since your
chapter pages would fall into the 'otherwise' part and be output.

> I thought I could perhaps add a line that says:
>
>    <xsl:when test="$pageclass = 'titlepage' and $gentext-key = 'chapter'
>                     and $sequence='first'">
>       <!-- show the header on chapter title pages-->
>     </xsl:when>
>
> But this has no effect whatsoever.
>
> Any thoughts?

If your code really has just a comment, then there would be no output.  But
I don't think that is the problem.

I think the problem is in the header.content template.  That template is
used to decide what the header text should be for each position and kind of
page.  The case that is turning off the header on the chapter first page is:

      <xsl:when test="$sequence = 'first'">
        <!-- nothing for first pages -->
      </xsl:when>

You'll need to customize the header.content template to fix it.  See this
reference for more info:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PrintHeaders.html#PrintHeadersText

DocBook Consulting