Subject: Formal title positioning question (XSL-FO/PDF)

Hi all!

I have a question regarding formal titles in XSL-FO output.

At work we use a DocBook setup where formal titles (in tables, figures
etc) are positioned below the formal object.

One of the users asked if it is possiple to arrange these titles such
that they are centered if they are only one line long but left-aligned
if they are more than one line long.

And yes, I do know that the stylesheets have no way of calculating
line lengths :-)

A quick hack would be to use role on the title elements to hint that a
title is short and then customize formal.object.heading, but I am not
quite happy with that!

Are there any clever ways of doing such a thing with XSL-FO
elments/attributes?

Hope I made myself clear :-)

Version numbers:
DocBook DTD: 4.3