Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Setting chapter numbers, ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pool 475-1 FRD TE-N" <Pool475-1.FRDTE-N@zf.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 1:01 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Setting chapter numbers, ...

> Hi list,
>
> I'm new to DocBook XML/XSL and I have a few simple questions for which I
> didn't find an answer yet. Primarily I want to generate PDF's.
>
> 1) Is there an alternative mechanism to rootid for selecting arbitrary
> chapters (so that the chapter numbers are preserved).

I'm not sure I understand the question.  When you use rootid, the chapter
numbers are preserved.  Why do you need another mechanism?  What do you want
it to do that is different?

> 2) Or is it possible to set the chapter numbers manually.

Yes, you can put the number in a 'label' attribute of the chapter element.

> 3) Is it possible to switch for some pages from two column layout to
> "normal" layout. How is it with switching from A4 paper (portrait) to A3
> paper (landscape) - also only for some pages.
>
> 4) Is there a way to define tables and figures spanning over two columns.

Would you mind re-asking these questions in separate messages with
appropriate subject lines so they can be more easily found in the mailing
list archive?   Thanks.

DocBook Consulting