Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] HTML -> DocBook Conversion?

Roger Kitain <Roger.Kitain@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone out there recommend a good process for converting
> a FrameMaker document to DocBook?  I've tried exporting the document
> out to HTML, and running some tools like "html2db" on the HTML,
> but I end up with a bunch of validation errors when conerting to
> DocBook...  Any insight would be greatly appreciated....

If you're just working with Frame 6, you can

  1. Convert the file to Frame's XML format (but to get it work
     correctly, you need to do it using dzbatcher or fmbatch --
     using "Save as XML" from within Frame itself corrupts an XML
     mapping table within the document)

  2. Write an XSL stylesheet and use it to convert the Frame XML
     to DocBook. (Though you'll probably need to do some pre-
     and/or post-processing using Perl or shell scripting or
     whatever to get it the way you want.)

I've used that process in the past to set up an automated system
for generating man pages from Frame source files. (Using and
third step that runs the DocBook XML the manpages stylesheet from
the DocBook XSL stylesheet distro.) It allows the doc authors to
continue authoring their source in Frame and still be able produce
man pages from that same source.

Another way to consider is using Frame 7's built-in support for
generating DocBook output from Frame source. I tried that, but
after running into some problems and limitations with it, and not
caring to spend time to learn how to make Frame's internal
(proprietary) conversion system work the way it's supposed to, I
just gave up and decided to stick with converting it using tools I
was more familiar with (XSLT, Perl, shell scripting.)

I guess that would all be overkill if this is just a one-time
Frame -> DocBook conversion you want to do with just one
particular file. But if it's something you have an ongoing need
for, you might want to invest some time in getting it set up.

  --Mike

PGP signature