Subject: many problems with converting DocBook XML to PDF

Hello,

I have a DocBook XML V4.2 document (example.dbx) and use the following
software to convert it to PDF:

    * xsltproc 1.1.8

    * DocBook XSL stylesheets 1.64.1.0

    * passivetex 1.52

I use the following command lines:

    1. xsltproc /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/fo/docbook.xsl
       example.dbx > example.fo

    2. pdfxmltex example.fo

    3. pdfxmltex example.fo

Alas, the PDF file which is produced is very dissatisfactory.

I've put the file example.dbx along with all files generated by xsltproc and
pdfxmltex under http://www.wolfgang.jeltsch.net/docbook-problems/.  I'd be
very glad if you could have a look at them and help me in finding out which
of the problems I experienced are problems with xsltproc, problems with the
stylesheet, problems with passivetex or problems with my own mind:-).

Now the list of problems I have:

    * At the top of each page there is the string "--4pc --4pc" and the output
      of the variablelist element contains lots of "* 0.60+1em" strings.

    * At the top of page 2 the title is shown, broken into two lines which are
      totally misaligned.

    * When using a single para element inside a listitem element which itself
      is embedded in an itemizedlist element then after the listitem bullet
      there is a line break.

    * If an itemizedlist element is embedded in a para element, the gap before
      the itemized list is larger than ordinary inter-column gaps.

    * If an itemizedlist element is embedded in a para element and it appears
      at the end of this para element, the gap after the itemized list is
      larger than ordinary inter-column gaps.

    * There's always a horizontal line at the top of the page which looks
      strange especially on page 1.

    * There is no gap between the footnote mark at the bottom of page 1 and
      the horizontal line above it.

    * The horizontal line at the page bottom appears also if no footnotes are
      present.

    * The heading "Inhaltsverzeichnis" (Table of contents) doesn't align
      horizontally with the other headings.

    * French spacing isn't chosen by pdfxmltex although the lang attribute of
      the article element is "de" and french spacing isn't used in German
      texts.

    * pdfxmltex generates multiple warning messages similar to the following:

          LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmr/m/n' in size <4.49753> not
          available
          (Font)              size <5> substituted on input line 21.

    * No hyphenation is done in the abstract.

    * In the abstract, no justification is used.  Instead, the abstract is set
      ragged right.

    * In contrast to the LaTeX hyperref package, hyperlinks are not marked
      with a colored frame or similar.

    * In contrast to the LaTeX hyperref package, footnote marks aren't
      hyperlinks to the footnote.

    * database elements are formatted like ordinary text while it would be
      better to format them in typewriter font or similar in my opinion.

    * The line number at the bottom of a page isn't centered.

By the way, I validated my file with rxp -V example.dbx > /dev/null and got
the following output:

Warning: Ignoring redefinition of entity inodot
 in entity "ISOlat2" at line 49 char 28 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/ent/iso-lat2.ent
 in entity "dbcent" at line 368 char 10 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbcentx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 118 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
Warning: Ignoring redefinition of parameter entity exchange.table.module
 in entity "dbpool" at line 3461 char 44 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 131 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
Warning: Ignoring redefinition of parameter entity bodyatt
 in entity "tablemodel" at line 44 char 23 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/calstblx.dtd
 in entity "dbpool" at line 3529 char 13 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 131 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
Warning: Ignoring redefinition of parameter entity secur
 in entity "tablemodel" at line 45 char 21 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/calstblx.dtd
 in entity "dbpool" at line 3529 char 13 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 131 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
Warning: Ignoring redefinition of parameter entity tbl.table.mdl
 in entity "tablemodel" at line 71 char 79 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/calstblx.dtd
 in entity "dbpool" at line 3529 char 13 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 131 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
Warning: Ignoring redefinition of parameter entity tbl.entry.mdl
 in entity "tablemodel" at line 84 char 81 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/calstblx.dtd
 in entity "dbpool" at line 3529 char 13 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod
 in unnamed entity at line 131 char 9 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd

Wolfgang