Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] many problems with converting DocBook XML to PDF

I'll just add one more bit of information: 1.61.3 is the latest
version of the docBook stylesheets that work with PassiveTeX. That's
while I still use that, with a customization layer to deal with
constructs added by later versions of the DTD.

Someone recently encouraged me to post bug reports for PassiveTeX
compatibility issues of the stylesheets, but I'm not sure it would be
worth the effort - the problems are numerous, changes sometimes
substantial; the stylesheets are not the right place to fix PassiveTeX
problems. Sad, since PassiveTeX is the only free FO processor that can
render math, but in Sebastian Rahtz' defense, it was never meant to be
more than a proof of concept, let alone a fully-functional FO
processor. Anyway, TeX has had its (long and glorious!) time, but the
world is ready for successors. All we lack is free tools.

Programmers of the world, contribute to FOP...! :-)

Justus.

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279