Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Apache modules for serving DocBook

On Monday 08 November 2004 09:24, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2004 22:07, Tristan Fiedler wrote:
> > I have a series of chapters (marked up with DocBook XML) stored in a
> > mysql database.  I would like them to be rendered as both HTML and pdf
> > through a webpage. This is creating an online book.
> >
> > What is the preferred / efficient method to automate this using apache
> > ?  Do I need to run an XSLT and XSLFO each time?  I would prefer not to
> > store the HTML and pdf, but create them on the fly if that is not to
> > time consuming.  Most chapters are about 2500 words of text, plus
> > markup, which can be up to 50% more.  Images are also present.
>
> Serving Docbook dynamically was discussed some time ago:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q3/msg00609.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q4/msg00006.html
>
> If you come up with any solution -- let the list know. The best alternative
> is the one described by Bob, but it means restraining the Docbook
> vocabulary and doing heavy customizations.

At present Forrest does have Docbook support. Though this is limited in the
quality of the transformation.

At Apache Forrest we are in the process of moving the internal format used
within the system to XHTML.

The idea is that any application able to transform to XHTML will be able to
input its content to Forrest.

In the case of docbook the FULL DOCBOOK plugin will use cocoon pipes to
transform docbook xml to xhtml using the docbook xhtml xsl's and have it
serialized into the aggregation mechanism of forrest. The final outcome
should be docbook content skinned by forrest.

docbook xml -> xhtml -> xhtml skinned

A new plugin architecture has been devised for forrest. The FULL DOCBOOK
plugin will fit into this architecture. The plugin is comprised of a Forrest
sitemap, docbook custom layers, docbook dtd's, and docbook xsl's.

Unfortunately this plugin will not be usable until the project impliments
XHTML as an internal format and proper processing of the docbook xhtml
exists in the core of the system.

--
Sean Wheller
sean@enbaya.co.za