Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSL 1.67.0 released

Hi techtonik,

You wrote:

> ||*()*||    [¥..konnichi wa, ogenki desu ka, Michael../]

chotto genki ja nai. I caught something and have a 38+ degree
fever right now. The accompanying hallucinations are kind of nice,
but the chills and pounding in my head make them kind of hard to
fully enjoy...

> That's great, but could you also pack release to 7z? (http://7-zip.org)

I'm not familiar with 7-zip at all. It seems to be something
that's not used much on Linux, but mainly on MS Windows, right?

Anyway, I went to the p7zip homepage at http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
and found the link to the Debian package at http://adn.diwi.org/debian/
and installed that. I ran 7za with the following command line:

  7za a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -r ¥
    docbook-xsl-1.67.0.7z docbook-xsl-1.67.0

I have no idea what most of those switches mean, but the man page
describes those as the "ultra settings", so I figured as long as
we were using a compression format designed to make the file size
as small as possible, hey, we might as well go all the way...

When it's done I see that it's managed to compress all 14Mb of
docbook-xsl down to only 594K, which is great -- a lot better than
the 2.4M that regular zip compresses it to.

Problem is that it takes 7 minutes to do it, which ain't so great.
(Hey, Is that why they call it 7-zip?) In comparision, tarring and
bzip2'ing it takes only 11 seconds -

  7z       7m4.344s     594K
  tar+bz2  0m11.930s    894K
  tar+gz   0m1.612s     1.5M
  zip      0m1.423s     2.4M

So I don't think 7-Zip is going to win any awards for efficiency.
Maybe somebody else will come up with a compression format that
gets the file size down to 300K but takes 15 minutes to do it...

Anyway, I have uploaded the 7z file and also a tar+bz2 one:

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21935&package_id=16608&release_id=281460

I think I may add creation of the bz2 file to the makefile we use
for the standard docbook-xsl build. But I won't be adding creation
of a 7z one. It doesn't seem worth it to add another 7 minutes to
the build, and not reasonable to expect other developers from the
project to download and install the p7zip package.

But if I'm the one who does the next release, I'll upload a 7z
file along with the rest. If I'm not, you may need to remind me
again at that time, and I'll build and upload one separately.

  --Mike

smime.p7s