Subject: Re: Customisation layer

I'm going to reply to myself, because I've answered a couple of
questions and come across a couple of new ones:

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:58:22 +1100, Aidan Lister <aidanis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've pretty much finished my customisation layer, and it's looking
> pretty good. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) I'm noticing very strange characters in the output.
>
> http://virtualexplorer.com.au/jve/
>
> All of the Figure titles have funny A's, the degree symbols are
> prefixed too. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Although I'd prefer to use UTF-8 as my output-type, changing it to
US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 solves the problem. Any more advice on this
would be appreciated.

> 2) Is it possible to prefix all paths provided by "fileref"
> attributes? Ie. If I had <graphic fileref="foo">, I'd like to build
> with "bar/foo". Is there a parameter for this? Could one be added? I'd
> rather not pull the entire make.graphic template out into my
> customisation layer, it's huge.

Yes. <xsl:param name="img.src.path">data/</xsl:param>

> 3) Why is <email> transformed into <code class="email">! This doesn't
> make sense.
>
> 4) How do I turn off generation of named ids?
>
> I'm happy for sections with an ID element to be given a named anchor -
> not that they need to, wouldn't it make more sense just to assign the
> ID to the actual element, it works the same
>
> But, some things in my document have an ID generated, like the <h1>
> element. I don't see a purpose for this, is there a parameter I can
> use to disable it?
>
> 5) I've been hunting around, but I'm unable to find a way to
> automagically scale all images to a maximum width. Is there a
> parameter for this in the docbook xsl?

6) Citations.

At the very top of my article, I must include a self-citation. This is
pretty standard when writing articles, perhaps it could be added to
docbook one day. At any rate, I decided to add it into my
customisation layer.

The problem I'm having is that I'm using the chunker (which is
fantastic), but I don't want the citation appearing at the top of
every page, so editing the <xsl:template name="chunk-element-content">
is no good. I either need a way to edit the first chunk's template, or
a way to test if the current chunk being processed is the first one.

Any advice appreciated.