Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Customisation layer

Hi Aidan,

You wrote:

> I'm going to reply to myself, because I've answered a couple of
> questions and come across a couple of new ones:
>
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:58:22 +1100, Aidan Lister <aidanis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've pretty much finished my customisation layer, and it's looking
> > pretty good. I have a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1) I'm noticing very strange characters in the output.
> >
> > http://virtualexplorer.com.au/jve/

This currently comes back "403 - Forbidden"

> > All of the Figure titles have funny A's, the degree symbols are
> > prefixed too. Does anyone know what could cause this?
>
> Although I'd prefer to use UTF-8 as my output-type, changing it to
> US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 solves the problem. Any more advice on this
> would be appreciated.

If you are generating UTF-8 output, you may be able to solve the
problem by placing a .htaccess file in the directory, with the
following included:

  AddDefaultCharset utf-8

Or maybe;

  AddDefaultCharset off

Apache is configured by default with the AddDefaultCharset
directive set to "iso-8859-1". If the above changes don't seem to
have any effect, you might consider asking the site owner to
edit the site config file (/etc/apache/httpd.conf maybe) so that
the AddDefaultCharset is set to either "off" or "utf-8".

> > 3) Why is <email> transformed into <code class="email">! This doesn't
> > make sense.

hmm, do you want it to be transformed into <a href="mailto:foo@bar.com";> ?
I though it already did that by default. Is it not doing that?

If it's not, you can get the same effect by doing:

  <email><ulink url="mailto:foo@bar.com";>foo@bar.com</ulink></email>

> > 4) How do I turn off generation of named ids?
> >
> > I'm happy for sections with an ID element to be given a named anchor -
> > not that they need to, wouldn't it make more sense just to assign the
> > ID to the actual element, it works the same
> >
> > But, some things in my document have an ID generated, like the <h1>
> > element. I don't see a purpose for this, is there a parameter I can
> > use to disable it?

I think not. I will check (if nobody else from the project chimes
in first to confirm it).

> > 5) I've been hunting around, but I'm unable to find a way to
> > automagically scale all images to a maximum width. Is there a
> > parameter for this in the docbook xsl?

Dunno. I but Bob does, though.

> 6) Citations.
>
> At the very top of my article, I must include a self-citation. This is
> pretty standard when writing articles, perhaps it could be added to
> docbook one day. At any rate, I decided to add it into my
> customisation layer.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I'm using the chunker (which is
> fantastic), but I don't want the citation appearing at the top of
> every page, so editing the <xsl:template name="chunk-element-content">
> is no good. I either need a way to edit the first chunk's template, or
> a way to test if the current chunk being processed is the first one.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

Dunno on this either. I will check on this too. If it turns out
that it's not possible, you'll need to file a feature request.

  --Mike

smime.p7s